Friday, 21 March 2014

Quilty Bucket List

Stacey at The Tilted Quilt is hosting a blog hop on bucket lists of the Quilty variety. I've had so much fun reading everyone else's that I thought I'd like to contribute mine.

On my Quilty Bucket List, I have 5 quilts and a piecing project.

(I like to do my brainstorming on the computer, making diagrams as I go along. I find it helps me get more done.)


Mailbox
This is a quilt that has been floating around in my head for a while. It's one of those things that you care about so much, that actually making progress on it is terrifying - what if you mess it up? I've got to get over that. Currently I'm at the stage where I'm testing the stamp blocks to get the little jagged-edge border just right.
I admit that I'm not confident about the fabrics that I've earmarked for this project.


Triangles
Triangles are a popular quilt for the list, it seems! Originally I wanted to do a simple 60-degree triangle quilt, but came across this gorgeous pillow from Kitchen Table Quilting that makes the piecing of the triangles indistinct, and I thought that was fantastic. So I'd like to do a whole quilt like that!
I think the most difficult part of this would be choosing fabrics that play nicely together, because there won't be any sashing to break them up (I do rather like sashing).


NZ Map
A work of art of my home.
This would be a pixel-quilt, I think, or something similar, of the map of New Zealand. All I know so far is that I'd like to use as many different blue and green fabrics to make the land and sea, and that I'd like to include Tartan Kiwi's beautiful kiwi block on the back (or indeed, all of them!). I still haven't decided the level of detail, or style I'm going for - do I depict the snow on the mountains, for example, or should I include fussy-cuts of novelty prints featuring important things?


Feathers
 This one isn't one I've made up, obviously. Anna Maria Horner's Feather Bed Quilt is such a lovely quilt, and I love that so many people have made it so that I can look at all the gorgeous images out there!
I think that I'd like a quieter version for mine, in more natural, soothing colours. Unfortunately, the style that I like (what do we call it, coordinated scrappy?) uses so many different fabrics to communicate a single colour, that it would take me a very long time to amass all the fabric for this quilt. What do others do when they encounter this problem?


Cross Stitch
Alyssa from Pile o'Fabric has a cross-stitch block tutorial that has inspired many - my favourite is the gorgeous Mr Fox quilt by Samantha of Making Life Prettier. I love how this looks - so structured, but the use of different fabrics breaks up the formality a little bit, for a sweet, interesting twist on tradition. I'd love to do this with a simple picture of a rose on a white background.
This is one of those 'one day' quilts. It's on the bucket list, but it's not a concrete idea yet.


Ducks
I love this sweet paper-pieced duck pattern! I'd love to make a quilt out of it but I think I'd settle for a lovely little cushion for my sister, perhaps with some nice built-up borders around the block?
This is another 'one day' project, because of the fabric. I'll collect natural muted textures one by one until I have the perfect set for the look I want.

Looking at my list, it is apparent that two things hold me back: a little bit of intimidation, and my pitiful stash. I'm determined to push through the scary things, but I'll probably be sighing wistfully at the pictures of others' stashes for a long time yet.

4 comments:

  1. My favorite of your list is the map of NZ. I love the idea of maps in quilts. I have been toying too with creating some maps and maybe using google earth to find images with great roadways and highways as inspiration. In addition to pieced maps I think it would be really fun to have maps quilted into a finalized quilt. Perhaps the contour line of a favorite beach destination... How fun. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! Thanks for sharing. I especially love the feathers and the pixelated NZ :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great list! I love the pixelated rose and the New Zealand one will be amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing valuable information. Nice post. I enjoyed reading this post.
    โกเด้นสล็อต

    ReplyDelete