Sunday, 2 March 2014

Hexagons

So... hexagons...
I was trying to resist making more, I really was. I didn't want to start another project til others are finished, but I couldn't help myself.

I made a few... The top three have fleece inside them (yay makeshift batting) and are intended to be coasters. Their edges aren't so straight because that extra layer makes it difficult to be accurate with the folds, unfortunately. Obviously the ladybug one is for mum, and the elephant ones are for me. I also really want to make myself a cute little elephant bunting for my desk, too.

The other four don't have any fleece in them at all, and that made them a lot easier to fold over and stitch in place. They're flimsier as a result, and I don't really know what I'll use them for.
   Iron-on interfacing in place of fleece/batting would be an interesting thing to try. It would add a little bit of structure and strength while being easier to deal with. Then I could stitch these hexagons up into a nice little bag of some sort.

This is my favourite one. I just love that really sweet sakura fabric combined with my precious turquoise/aqua floral. I bought the pink during Lincraft's half-price fabric sale (which was awesome and I should have bought more fabric... especially purples, I really need purples). I had the turquoise already, but I only have a fat quarter of it so I'm very reluctant to use it for anything, which is a shame because it's really lovely.

I want to make a quilt of these. I'd make the hexagons bigger and attempt to get them to play nicely with the batting so I could make a gorgeous double-sided quilt. Entertaining the idea makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment